Finally, I’ve gotten off my ass and posted an updated Fish Fillets 0.8.1. This updated version is now a universal binary and includes all the latest level packs and translations.
The good news is that if you have installed XCode and are relatively familiar with it, you can easily rebuild it and it seems to work fine. Hopefully they’ll get this done and make it available for everyone since it’s fairly trivial.
1. Download the source .zip from Phoenix Labs.
2. Unzip it and follow the instructions in the “How to Build” file (getting the Growl framework and 7za.)
3. Replace libcrypto.0.9.dylib with libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
5. From the command line, run distbuild.sh to create a nice little .zip package just like you’d download from the web site.
6. Install like normal and enjoy.
If any of the above confuses you, you probably want to wait until the official build is available.
Hot damn! Apple is dropping the price of their iTunes Plus tracks from $1.29 to $.99, probably in direct response to Amazon’s MP3 store, which also offers DRM-free tracks at $.89 to $.99. I know I first check Amazon before getting something from iTunes – with no DRM and a cheaper price, it’s a no-brainer.
At least now the playing field is leveled slightly.
Last night I finally got 3rd party apps running on the phone again after the disastrous 1.1.1 update. I used Niacin’s TIFF exploit to get write access to the filesystem, and then followed the directions from the iPhone Dev Team (detailed here) to get SSH and AppTapp installed.
It’s still a very manual process, but way easier than the downgrade to 1.0.2 then update to 1.1.1 nonsense. But now I have my eBook reader and IM client running again. Summerboard doesn’t work, and neither does Sketch or Customize(apparently Customize does work, thanks Brian), but for the most part, everything runs just fine. A list of common applications and their compatibility can be found on this iPhone Dev Wiki page.
If you’re going to try this, remember that this doesn’t get you the carrier unlock, just 3rd party apps. Unlocks are still coming, though there have been reports that the IPSF stuff still works. Apparently it was the only software unlock that didn’t brick the iPhone with the 1.1.1 update. Naturally, it costs $60.
Now to wait for the inevitable breakage from Apple’s next update. Sigh. Can’t we all just get along?
Update: Looks like they decrypted the ramdisks now.
Finally – the addictive building game gets an upgrade to a universal binary. The old PPC version ran ok on my Intel box, but some of the more complex bridges got REALLLY SLOW during simulations.
You owe it to yourself to get a copy of this game. Also check out Bridgebuilder-game.com to find tons of pre-built bridges and some nice solutions to the more tricky levels.
The 28 hour day/week. Courtesy of xkcd.com
I’ve updated Toppler to a universal binary, using the same source tree as the previous 1.1.1-1 version. This, unfortunately, requires it to be run under 10.4.x. If you’re still running 10.2.x or 10.3.x, you can still download the previous PPC version (works great under Rosetta as well) from the same page, just under the main download link.
One quick thing to note – if you have any high score files left over from a PPC->Intel conversion, these won’t read properly with this version. The high-score code is very endian dependent, and I didn’t update it to properly handle all cases. No biggie, but if you see some strange high scores in there, get rid of your /Users//.toppler directory.
I’m getting ready to post new binaries for Fillets and Freedroid as well, so stay tuned.
Update: One more update to 1.1.3-4 to include some language fixes and new levels. Check the toppler page for details.
Yet another version of Tower Toppler, version 1.1.1 was releases by Andreas RÃ¶ver. This comes quickly on the heels of the 1.1.0 version. The main changes are:
- Included Pasis 2 Towers
- New Finnish translation
- Updated French Translation
I’ve updated the OS X packages on my Toppler page. Worth a download for the new level set!
Update, December 24, 2004: The issue with Toppler not running on 10.2.8 systems has been fixed. It was due to a missing function in the 10.2 C libs. The new version is 1.1.1-1